Here is a recipe for traditional potato latkes, also known as potato pancakes, that are perfect for celebrating Hanukkah:
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 small onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Grate the potatoes and onion using a box grater or food processor. Place the grated mixture in a colander over the sink and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Transfer the grated potatoes and onion to a bowl and stir in the eggs, flour, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Drop spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the hot oil and press down lightly with a spatula to flatten them into pancakes.
- Cook the latkes for 2-3 minutes on each side, until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the latkes from the pan and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat the process with the remaining potato mixture, adding more oil to the pan as needed.
- Serve the latkes hot, with sour cream or apple sauce on the side. Enjoy!
Note: You can also try adding grated carrots or zucchini to the potato mixture for a little extra flavor and nutrition. You can also try using sweet potatoes or parsnips in place of the russet potatoes for a different twist on the traditional recipe.
Leave a comment